The Forestry Experiment

Development

Using a CMS that generates the sort of markdown files I was tired of creating manually.

From a certain perspective I'm still building a static website with markdown files and avoiding dealing with an API—an API would be overkill in this situation.

My initial efforts were geared towards manually creating markdown files and loading those by iterating over a manually generated JSON file. Sort of a poor imitation of what an API might return after a query. That was not ideal and not really how I wanted to handle it long term since it was not scalable.

I started working towards dynamically generating that information, but was still a little tired of creating the posts.md files necessary. That's when I discovered forestry.io. I'll do a bit more of a process write up in the future, but for now I'm willing to see how this all goes.

So far, this fits the work flow in a much nicer way.